2022: Our Year in Review
2022 has been quite the year and we want to give a big shoutout to you - our community - for being part of it!
Since entrepreneurship@UBC's inception, we’ve worked with over 650 venture teams who’ve gone on to raise $1.53 billion in capital, $732 million in revenues and create over 1500 jobs. Venture creation takes a village and none of this work was done in isolation; our ecosystem depends on the deep-seated knowledge, support and contributions of our community to see such success. We are also excited to celebrate our 10 year anniversary in 2023!
- We welcomed 50+ venture teams to our community, of which 60% were female founded or co-led;
- 3000+ members from our vibrant local ecosystem joined our marquee and community events;
- We held 12 Venture Studio meetups and events furthering our Climate, Human Health and Social Venture communities bringing in over 300 participants;
- We hosted 8 Female Founder Meetups since launching as part of our International Women’s Day campaign in March;
- We launched Entrepreneurial Explorer, our self-directed venture programming solution making entrepreneurship accessible to all and
- We led our 3rd annual entrepreneurship@UBC Immersion Week - in person - for the first time ever, welcoming over 500 guests!
Ventures creating impact
We are proud to be part of an ecosystem championing the next generation of founders who are leading mission-driven organizations. These founders are more focused than ever on creating impact across human health, climate, social change and more, leveraging global goals to tell their stories and relay the positive change they are making through venture creation.
A survey of our founders found that every respondent was working on a solution that corresponded to a UN Sustainable Development Goal (also known as Global Goals), demonstrating the direction and purpose our early-stage ventures are honing through venture creation.
UBC entrepreneurs saw major wins in 2022
UBC entrepreneurs made big wins this year, creating waves across the ecosystem. Some highlights include Pocketed winning The 2022 Odlum Brown Forum Pitch Finale taking home $25,000, Carbin Minerals and Takachar being awarded $1M in Elon Musk’s XPRIZE, Aspect Biosystem’s Co-Founder and CEO Tamer Mohamed featured in Bloomberg's New Economy Catalyst list, UVX winning $165,000 at Spring’s Health Impact Investor Challenge, Nyoka taking home the top prize in the Unicorn Battle LA, OnDeck Fisheries AI winning the $10,000 Sustainable Harvesting Spotlight Award as part of The Ocean Impact Pitchest 2022, DYNE winning $65,000 at the Valhalla Summit, Carbin Minerals, CarboNet, Nyoka, Takachar, Verdi and Viridis being named to the 2022 Foresight 50 list, and many (many!) more accolades across the community.
Thank you for being part of our story
All of these efforts underpin our mission of supporting and furthering the journeys of UBC entrepreneurs. In anticipation of our 10 year anniversary in 2023, we connected with various venture founders across our program to hear how entrepreneurship@UBC and our wider ecosystem has had an impact on their journey. This video was unveiled at our 2022 Venture Showcase and we are excited to share it with you again!
This has been a year to remember. We hope you have a safe and happy holiday season and we can’t wait to start our next together chapter in 2023!