Climate Venture Studios: Scaling & Manufacturing Seminar w/ Mike Coyle
January 23, 2024
Join us on January 23 at UBC Robson Square for this seminar on scaling for manufacturing startups. Mike Coyle of MCoyle Design is an internationally awarded driver in hardware innovation, specializing in high-margin consumer products.
1) Introducing the Chicken/Egg Problem
- Every startup encounters one, which you have to get past to be successful
- Scaling is usually, but not always, one of the chicken/egg problems for hardware startups, it’s not hard, but takes knowledge of how to navigate
- Need to hit a certain quantity for reasonable pricing, but can’t sell without that price point
2) Cautionary Tales: Some examples from current/past projects
Step 1: Understand your potential for scale
Step 2: Plan scaling accordingly
Step 3: Strategies to approach design/development
Mike Coyle's Bio:
Mike is a consultant for hardware startups and scaleups, with 10 years of experience in the industry. He is an internationally awarded driver in hardware innovation, specializing in high margin consumer products, and has worked on products such as the CLUG bike rack (Henry Ford Innovation Museum inductee), and the Onewheel electric skateboard.
UBC Robson Square
Vancouver BC V6E 1A7