Take the next step by applying to Venture Founder!
We are dedicated to creating amazing experiences and outcomes for UBC entrepreneurs. The first step is submitting your request to apply to Venture Founder! Learn more about each step and what you can expect during the application process below.
Not sure about eligibility or which stream to apply to? Find out more about Venture Founder CORE and Lab2Launch to see which stream is right for you.
Application expectations and process
1. Request to apply to our programs: You will be asked to fill out a short form for our team to evaluate your initial interest and ensure you are applying to the correct stream/stage. After a 48 hour review period (2 business days), our team will send you the full application form. Note: if you apply Friday or on the weekend/holiday, you can expect to receive the application within the next few business days.
2. Fill out the full application form: The application form involves in depth questions ranging from your team composition and initial traction, to understanding your value proposition, technology, and treasury. After you submit your application in full, it will go to our evaluation team who review all applicants.
3. Interview: Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview with our team where we will ask you more about your solution and interest in being part of the program. Following this, candidates will be notified on whether they will be invited to join the cohort.
4. Onboarding, orientations and socials: The Venture Founder Journey begins with rigorous onboarding including orientation and social events to meet the wider cohort, entrepreneurship@UBC team and mentors, along with a review of the curriculum syllabus and expected commitment. All this is designed to help ensure this an exceptional experience for you and your team.
5. Session cadence: The Venture Founder experience consists of 16 sessions across 16 weeks (unless noted otherwise) of online, 3.5 hour sessions, with sessions 5, 10 and 16 taking place in person.
Important dates for Venture Founder cohort #46 Fall 2023 (CORE and Lab2Launch)
- May 15, 2023 - Application Deadline
- May 8 - June 9, 2023 - Interviews
- June 23, 2023 - Successful Applicants Announced
- September 6, 2023 - Cohort Orientation (in person)
- September 7, 2023 - Welcome Social (in person)
- *September 13 and 14, 2023 - CORE & Lab2Launch Programming Starts
- October 18 and 19, 2023 - CORE & Lab2Launch Session #5 Progress Presentations (in person)
- November 22 and 23, 2023 - CORE & Lab2Launch Session #10 Progress Presentations (in person)
- January 25, 2024 - CORE & Lab2Launch Cohort Day (in person)
*CORE sessions are held on Wednesdays and Lab2Launch on Thursdays.
What you can expect after you are accepted to Venture Founder
16 sessions, one per week, this is a 3 month commitment.
Each week you can expect to spend up to 10 hours per week, for 16 weeks (unless otherwise noted), working on the following:
- *Attend weekly sessions = 3.5 hours
- *Prep and homework for each session = ranges from 3 to 5 hours
- Meeting with your team or mentors = ranges from 1 to 2 hours
- Sessions start from 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
*Session preparation, attendance and assignments are key to your success, and to maintaining your spot in entrepreneurship@UBC’s Venture Founder. Company building is a huge commitment and our resources can be a valuable contribution to your success. Program participants are evaluated for fit and commitment on a frequent basis.