The Social Venture Stream is based on the Core Venture Stream curriculum, but explores the distinct design and management challenges inherent in creating ventures that intend to deliver financial value while pursuing a purpose-driven mission. Social ventures are for-purpose organizations that focus on important local and global challenges with a strong emphasis on maximizing positive impact in areas such as social, health, and environment.
What are the key differences between the Social Venture and the Core Venture Streams?
- Your venture is committed to maximizing societal and environmental impact first
- Your venture is intentional in creating impact (the impact piece is not just a key advantage to your business)
Are the Social Venture Lean Launch Pad Stream and the Coast Capital Savings (CCS) Innovation Hub (iHub) the same thing?
Nope! The CCS iHub is one part of e@UBC’s full suite of programs that helps to build high potential social ventures, and a great option for social ventures to apply for. Ventures that attend the Social Venture LLP Stream will be well-prepared to apply for the CCS iHub. The CCS iHub is a one year accelerator that accepts ventures on a cohort basis. You can find out more information about the iHub and when they will be accepting applications here.
Who Should Take The Lean Launch Pad (LLP):
- You are serious about establishing a startup
- You currently have a startup, and you want to refine your business strategy to build traction for your business
- You have at least 2 team members (including yourself)
- You are committed to understanding your consumer, their problem or needs, and your impact
- At least one of your founders is a UBC staff, faculty, researcher, student or alumni of UBC within 5 years
What You’ll Learn
- Receive feedback from facilitators, mentors, and EIRs that have experience working with impact-focused organizations
- Develop impact maximizing strategy
- How to conduct customer discovery
- The tools to work towards a clear product-market fit
- Develop your venture’s value and impact proposition
- How to validate your market and your impact
- Figure out your business model that intentionally integrates financial objectives with measurable social, health and/or environmental outcomes
Details on how to apply here.